Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza Crust?


When I saw this on Pinterest, I was immediately intrigued.  Over the last few months I have been working on cutting out gluten from my diet and the challenge with that is Pizza!! It's one of my favorite foods.  I tried Coconut Flour to make a pizza crust and wasn't thrilled with the results.  I kept stumbling across the Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe and everyone who blogged about it said it was fabulous.. so what the heck?  I gave it a shot, twice. The recipe I used came from
I only used pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese, since that was all I had on hand.

Ingredients:
1 cup cooked "riced" cauliflower
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
Olive oil
Shredded cheese and pizza toppings of your choice




Cut off leaves of cauliflower.  The recipe calls for cutting off the stems and I did not since I was using a food processor and head and stems taste similar to me. If you don't have a food processor, you can use a cheese grater.  Pulse cauliflower until it looks like a rice like mixture.  Be careful not to pulse too long, as you do not want to puree the cauliflower.  One head of cauliflower should produce 3 cups.  The other 2 cups can be stored in an air tight container and refrigerated for up to one week.



Place cauliflower in microwave safe bowl for 8 minutes (some microwaves are more powerful than others so adjust as needed).  There is no need to add water since there is enough natural moisture already in the mixture.  Preheat oven to 450 and spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.


To make the crust, mix together the riced cauliflower, beaten egg and mozzarella cheese.  Add the oregano, crushed garlic,  garlic salt and mix well.  I used my hands as they are sometimes the best tools.

  
Transfer to a cookie sheet and using your hands, pat out a 9 inch round.   The first time I made this, It was too thick.  This time, I patted it down so it was really thin.  Apply olive oil lightly on top to help with browning.  

 

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.  My crust is almost burnt, but I really like it that way!


Add sauce, cheese and any other toppings you wish and broil for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted.


If you are expecting the entire crust to be crispy, it is not.  The outside is crispy but the middle is not, so eating with a fork is the best bet!  





















No comments:

Post a Comment