Monday, May 21, 2012

Pauline's Famous Hummus

My old roomie and good friend Pauline (@pkalil on Twitter) makes the best hummus in the world.  I had the pleasure of living with her for two years and she made it often.  After going our separate ways, I was more than disappointed with every hummus recipe or brand I tasted.  Pauline recently visited me and I demanded (ok, I asked nicely) if she would show me how to make her famous hummus once and for all.  We made a video, but I am still trying to edit it and since video editing is not my specialty, it's taking some time.  In the mean time, I will share her delicious hummus making secrets for you to enjoy.

Ingredients:
Garlic (1 or 2 cloves- depending on your preference)
1 can of Garbanzo Beans (more authentic the better)
1/2 cup Lemon juice (FRESH is best) 
1/3 cup Tahini 
Dash of Salt (optional)
Splash of Water (if needed)
Splash of Olive Oil (for texture)



Start with chopping your garlic cloves in the food processor.  I personally use one clove since I do not like too much garlic.  It's very important to put one ingredient in at a time throughout this process.


Add one can of garbanzo beans.  If you can find a Middle Eastern Store, they have the most authentic products.  I do not have one around me so I went with Whole Foods 365 brand.  Drain beans, but do NOT rinse with water. Pulse until mixed.


Add a half cup of lemon juice as processor is pulsing.  I've made this recipe with fresh lemon juice and store bought lemon juice, and fresh juice ALWAYS wins.  If possible, use fresh lemons. 


Good Tahini is essential to fantastic hummus, as I have learned from my past batches.  Again, a Middle Eastern store will sell authentic Tahini.   I found one from Lebanon at Whole Foods, so I went with it.  The only ingredient listed  is toasted sesame seeds, which is they way it should be! 
As Tahini is pulsing into the mix, add a dash of salt (optional).  If the hummus is thick, add a little bit of water until you get desired consistency.


Olive oil isn't required in this recipe, but if you want to add a dash for texture purposes, do it!  I personally like to add a little bit at the end, along with a dash or paprika and pine nuts.  Presentation is everything when you are serving to a crowd! 


Enjoy! ... and tell me what you think!!  
















No comments:

Post a Comment