Saturday, May 12, 2012

Roy's Chocolate Souffle

Anyone who knows me knows I am a HUGE fan of Roy's Restaurant and specifically, the Chocolate Souffle.  I have been trying to master this delicious dessert for YEARS and have NEVER gotten it right.  I was making it in small ramekins and no matter what I did, it never turned out the way it was supposed to.  I learned two things in my journey,  the 3" ring mold was the only way to perfect this challenging chocolate dessert and the use of GOOD CHOCOLATE is a must!  I only use Guittard.


There are many recipes online for Roy's Chocolate Souffle
 but I like to go with the Master.
http://roysrestaurant.com/whatsnew/recipes/.




INGREDIENTS:
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp. corn starch
4 eggs plus 4 egg yolks
12 tbsp. unsalted butter
8 oz. semisweet dark chocolate (GOOD QUALITY)

PREPARATION:
In a mixing bowl, combing sugar and corn starch.  In a separate bowl, mix eggs and yolk together.  In a saucepan, (I use a make shift double broiler) bring butter to a simmer along the edges.  Add chocolate to butter and melt.  Combine the chocolate mixture with the sugar and cornstarch and mix thoroughly.  Add eggs and mix at a low speed until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth.  Refrigerate overnight in a bowl and bake at 375 degrees after refrigeration.  Every oven is different and I have to bake at 400 for a few minutes longer to get the desired results.  


 
   Mix sugar and cornstarch


  
   Melt butter in double broiler


  
Add chocolate to butter


Combine chocolate mixture with sugar and
cornstarch mix, wait a few minutes and add 
egg mixture and refrigerate overnight.




Spray rings with non stick cooking spray inside, 
wrap parchment paper inside and spray again.  Fill 
rings 2/3 with filling and bake for 18-30 minutes.  


This is my end result and I had some glitches.
Since I am not Martha Stewart, 
I am going to share them here. 


This is what happened the first time 
I used the rings.


This was the second time, and a lot less filling fell out.  
I refrigerated it much longer this time and it 
was more of a solid, which was the only difference.


This is the end result from the Master, the original 
Roy's Restaurant in Hawaii Kai.  I have faith, 
I will get it this perfect one day!  












No comments:

Post a Comment